Just like changing lifestyle habits and taking medication is essential for control of diabetes, regular blood sugar monitoring and tracking of numbers is an imperative step for a diabetes care plan. Though, other diseases may rely primarily on medical treatment, but, diabetes treatment requires active participation by the person who has it. This can be achieved by regular monitoring your blood sugar levels and analyzing the results for its proper management.
Why Tracking Matters
The essential role of tracking blood sugar levels is portrayed well from the following benefits it offers:
- Changes in blood sugar can help you make more prudent choices about what to eat and how much to eat.
- Your physical activity can be tuned according to the sugar levels attained by you on regular checkup.
- Your blood sugar readings help you understand how well your diabetes medicine is working. The ups and downs can help your physician in modifying your dosage.
- Monitoring your blood sugar regularly averts risky conditions of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and hyperglycemia (high blood sugar).
- Your readings may even help you to understand how other factors, such as illness or stress affect blood sugar levels
- It can help you and your diabetes care team to modify your care plan incase of any deviation of your readings from normal. Indication of high or low readings at any point of time can certainly help you to take prompt steps to rectify your blood sugar levels (by avoiding certain foods or increasing your medicine), thereby not letting you fall prey of any symptoms and serious health problems. You must know that high blood sugar levels can lead to long-term complications,?including?Heart diseases,?Nerve damage,?Vision problems,?Poor blood flow,?Foot problems,?Kidney disease etc.?On the other hand, low blood sugar levels can also cause severe complications such as seizures and coma.
How To Track Your Blood Sugar
TWO MOST simple ways to keep track of your blood sugar that are certainly not beyond your reach are:
- A simple notebook and a pencil to write down your numbers and testing times.
- Blood Sugar Tracker in the form of glucose monitoring app (www.sugarcare.in), an easy way for tracking and keeping record of blood sugar levels. You just need to enter your numbers and testing times online. More importantly, you can share the readings with your diabetic care team instantly for a prompt action or advise.
Change your attitude!
The benefits of tracking blood sugar tend to be most pronounced when the patient displays a change in attitude. It is normally observed that we track our readings very diligently when we get diagnosed with diabetes but what goes wrong later, no body knows! As a result, we become more prone to uncontrolled diabetes and its related complications. Your willingness and commitment to test regularly should not fade away.
?IT MAY FEEL LIKE A HASSLE, BUT IT?S AN ESSENTIAL TOOL TO HELP YOU TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR DIABETES?