As a diabetic patient,we generally get very confused about Indian Cuisine. But now we do have many yummy options to eat Indian cuisine in the much more healthier way.
In recent studies, it has been discovered that split Bengal gram (chana dal) is the healthiest pulse because of its low glycemic index. Chana Dal is a very beneficial pulse for diabetics as it helps in the utilization of sugar effectively causing a slow rise in blood sugar levels.
Here is the chana dal pancake (Chilla)?recipe with vitamin-rich vegetables and protein rich curds to enhance its taste. Cook these pancakes over a slow flame because the chana dal is coarsely ground and will take a while to cook well.
Ingredients for Chana Dal Pancake
- Chana dal, soaked and drained 1/2 cup
- Fenugreek (methi) leaves, chopped 1/2 cup
- Spinach (palak) chopped -1/2 cup
- Carrot (gajar) grated 1/2 cup
- Curry leaves (kadi patta), chopped 4 to 6
- Low-fat curds (dahi) 1 tbsp
- salt -1 tsp
- Grated ginger – 1 tsp
- Green chilies, chopped 1 to 2
- Salt to taste
- Mustard Oil for cooking 1 tsp
Method for Chana Dal Pancake
- Grind the soaked chana dal into a fine paste adding a little water, if required.
- Add the fenugreek leaves, spinach, carrot, curry leaves, ginger, green chilies and salt and mix well.
- Divide the batter into 4 equal portions, spread one portion of the batter on a non-stick pan and make a pancake of approx. 125 mm. (5?) diameter
- Grill on a slow flame until both sides are golden brown. Drizzle little oil if required.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make 3 more pancakes.
- Just before serving, add the curds and fruit salt and mix well.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values per Chana Dal Pancake: 98 kcal